ACER Mechanical Reasoning Test (MRT)
The MRT assesses mechanical reasoning ability, which entails understanding very basic principles of physics and mechanics, visualising the movement of objects through space, and understanding cause-effect relationships between mechanical components.
The MRT is designed to assess aptitude for solving problems requiring the understanding of mechanical ideas. It does not require mechanical knowledge or reading ability.
All 42 items are pen-and-ink diagrams and cover a wide range of content including wheels, gears, clamps, levers, sliding rods, shafts, pulleys, weights, conveyor belts, fixed and non-fixed pivots, and springs. Two parallel forms are available.
The MRT can be used for selection and for counselling individuals, such as school-leavers or mature-age job changers, who aspire to occupations requiring mechanical reasoning ability. It is suitable for apprentices, trainees, technical and trade personnel, and others involved in work of a mechanical nature.
- Australian norms
- Key measure of mechanical reasoning
This test is available online.
- The ACER Mechanical Reasoning Test alone costs $29.00 including GST.
- It can be combined with the ACER Applied Reading Test - Second Edition (ART-2) for $39.00 including GST.
- It can be combined with the ACER Applied Reading Test - Second Edition (ART-2) and the ACER General Select Numerical (GSN) for $59.00 including GST.
- It can be combined with the ACER General Select Verbal (GSV) and the ACER General Select Numerical (GSN) for $59.00 including GST.