The Teacher Observation Scales are designed for identifying children with special abilities. Students who are borderline gifted and talented, puzzling, unknown, new to the school, enigmatic, and/or who display intermittent signs of unusual ability, should be rated by these scales.
There are five scales, comprising between 8 and 13 statements:
The Learning Characteristics scale comprises such behaviours as:
- easily grasps underlying principles
- problem-finds as well as problem-solves.
The Social Leadership Characteristics scale is made up of behaviours such as:
- actively seeks leadership in social situations
- communicates well with others
The Creative Thinking Characteristics scale contains such behaviours as :
- is not afraid to be different
- produces original ideas
The Self-Determination Characteristics scale is defined by behaviours such as:
- pushes teachers and adults for explanations
- is sceptical of authorisation pronouncements
The Motivational Characteristics scale includes behaviours such as:
- is highly motivated
- sets personal goals
- and tends to be self-critical and evaluative.