About PAT: Mathematics
PAT: Mathematics for Years 3-10 helps teachers determine their students’ levels of achievement in the knowledge, skills and understanding of mathematics in the New Zealand curriculum. It is directly aligned with the New Zealand Curriculum and targets the big ideas students need to understand in order to make progress.
PAT: Mathematics assesses:
- number knowledge
- number strategies
- geometry and measurement
For full information you can download the PAT: Mathematics brochure page.
- Test scores allow for formative as well as summative reporting.
- Scale scores enable a student's level of achievement to be tracked from year to year.
- Diagnostic reports are provided in the teacher manual.
- The tests can be used at any time between February and November each year.
- Tests can be used at two or more year levels.
- The tests come as reusable booklets with separate answer sheets.
- Maths self-efficacy items are now available to all schools whose students use the online PAT:Mathematics. You can read more information on the items, or sign up to PAT:Mathematics online.
- Multiple tests reflect expected progress through the curriculum. Teachers choose appropriate tests for students well above or well below - these students do not need to sit the year level test.
- Student-centred and relevant, giving an immediate picture of how students are achieving and progressing against the curriculum. Provides trustworthy evidence of achievement, useful for transition data of students’ learning pathways.
- Curriculum progressions built into multi-choice questions supporting teachers’ moderation and analysis of curriculum levels and needs.
- All Students’ results end up on one scale no matter which test they sit. This allows for accurate school-wide and/or CoL-wide reporting for strategic goal setting and planning.
- CoL/multi-school analysis reporting for trends, patterns and shift using ethnic, gender and year level filters for targeted improvement in teaching and learning.
In 2015 we added six more tests to the PAT: Mathematics range. New tests 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A, 7A and 8A offer you more options about who, when and why you test. The supplementary tests allow teachers to use PAT: Mathematics at different times of the year or at different difficulty levels without having to repeat a previously administered test. These supplementary tests fit in between the existing PAT: Mathematics tests. They are each targeted at a particular difficulty range and complement an existing test. Purchasing the supplementary tests gives your school more choice.
Ordering paper tests
Tests can only be purchased by schools, registered teachers, or parents/caregivers of homeschooled children with a current exemption certificate.
Note: The PAT: Mathematics Teacher Manual is current to the 2009 revision, all other material is current to the 2006 revision.
If you can't shop for tests online you can download the order forms below and email to email@example.com.
PAT: Mathematics Adaptive testing is available for PAT: Mathematics. It is the first truly computer adaptive testing for schools in New Zealand.
Research and advice on PAT: Mathematics
This paper considers why many students who are making normal progress according to their results in NZCER’s Progressive Achievement Test (PAT) in mathematics, would fail to meet the new National Standard in mathematics. The paper was written by a group of NZCER researchers.
Until additional studies to align the tests with the standards are completed, NZCER believes schools should make their own judgements about how student performance on PAT: Mathematics relates to the National Standards.