Purpose of the assessment
The tests are for the assessment of students in year levels 7-10 and identify specific aspects of thinking in science rather than attempting to measure overall achievement in science. They can be used to develop individual profiles that illustrate relative strengths and weaknesses in the domain of using evidence in science.
- Designed to help teachers interpret science in the New Zealand Curriculum
- Focusses on a key competency, thinking, in the context of science
- Makes explicit links to the Nature of Science strand
- The Teachers' Manual includes a section that gives suggestions for next learning activities
- Achievement on each test can be reported on a common measurement scale
Recommended Year Levels for each test
|Test Number||Recommended Year Levels|
|1.||7 & 8|
|2.||7 & 8|
|3.||9 & 10|
|4.||9 & 10|
Ordering paper tests?
Tests can only be purchased by schools, registered teachers, or parents/caregivers of homeschooled children with a current exemption certificate.
For more information and advice
Our science team has collated a list of queries from schools; download: Frequently Asked Questions.
For advice about the use of this test or others, including possible workshops, next steps and conversations around making sense of your school assessment, head to our Support and Advice page or contact our Education Adviser (details at the top right of this page).
We can also provide advice directly related to the NZCER Marking Service (subscriptions, setup, technical, data and reports).