Literature that included descriptions of the key competencies
- The New Zealand Curriculum: Draft for consultation 2006 descriptions of the key competencies (Ministry of Education, 2006)
- Papers and articles written about the New Zealand key competencies (Hipkins, 2005; Hipkins, Boyd, and Joyce, 2005; Hipkins, 2006)
- Curriculum Stocktake Report descriptions of the revised essential skills (the precursor to the key competencies) (Ministry of Education, 2002)
Studies that explored good practice
- Queensland School Reform Longitudinal Study (QSRLS) (School of Education. The University of Queensland, 2001a, 2001b)
- International Network of Innovative School Systems study (Bertelsmann Stiftung, 2003)
- Middle Years Research and Development (MYRAD) study (Russell, 2003)
- Engaging Secondary School Students in Lifelong Learning study (Bryce and Withers, 2003)
- Competent Learners @ 14 study (Wylie, 2003)
- Sustaining School Improvement study (Mitchell, Cameron, and Wylie, 2002)
- Improving School Effectiveness study (Smith, Stoll, McCall, and MacGilchrist, 1998)
- Evaluation of the ICTPD clusters study (Ham et al., 2003).
Bertelsmann Stiftung. (2003). Project overview. International network of innovative school systems (INIS). Retrieved 25 February 2003, from http://www.bertelsmann-stiftung.de/project.cfm?lan=en&nid=71&aid=2568
Bryce, J., & Withers, G. (2003). Engaging secondary school students in lifelong learning. Melbourne: Australian Council for Educational Research.
Ham, V., Gilmore, A., Kachelhoffer, A., Morrow, D., Moeau, P., & Wenmoth, D. (2003). What makes for effective teacher professional development in ICT? An evaluation of the 23 ICTPD school clusters programme 1999-2001. Wellington: Ministry of Education.
Hipkins, R. (2005). Thinking about the key competencies in the light of the intention to foster lifelong learning. set: Research Information for Teachers, 3, 36-38.
Hipkins, R. (2006). The nature of the key competencies. A background paper. Wellington: New Zealand Council for Educational Research.
Hipkins, R., Boyd, S., & Joyce, C. (2005). Documenting learning of the key competencies: What are the issues? A discussion paper. Wellington: New Zealand Council for Educational Research.
Ministry of Education. (2002). Curriculum stocktake report. Wellington: Ministry of Education.
Ministry of Education. (2006). The New Zealand Curriculum. Draft for consultation 2006. Wellington: Ministry of Education.
Mitchell, L., Cameron, M., & Wylie, C. (2002). Sustaining school improvement: Ten primary schools' journeys. Wellington: New Zealand Council for Educational Research.
Russell, V. (2003). Messages from MYRAD: Improving the middle years of schooling. A research and development monograph. Victoria: IARTV.
School of Education. The University of Queensland. (2001a). The Queensland school reform longitudinal study. Brisbane: The State of Queensland (Department of Education).
School of Education. The University of Queensland. (2001b). The Queensland school reform longitudinal study: Supplementary material. Brisbane: The State of Queensland (Department of Education).
Smith, I., Stoll, L., McCall, J., & MacGilchrist, B. (1998). Improving School Effectiveness Project, Teacher Questionnaires 1995-97. Paper presented at the Scottish Office and Employment and Industry Department, Edinburgh.
Wylie, C. (2003). Competent learners at 14. Wellington: New Zealand Council for Educational Research (unpublished research instrument).