Te reo Māori is an online assessment that enables students to demonstrate their knowledge of te reo Māori vocabulary. The assessment is for English-medium schools and will available on NZCER Marking from Term 1 2019.
The assessment is innovative
Te reo Maōri assessment combines two innovative features: computer adaptive technology (CAT), and audio to model good te reo Māori pronunciation.
- CAT means the level of questions changes according to responses, so the results more accurately reflect each student’s ability.
- The audio option in the assessment reinforces NZCER’s belief that good assessment supports learning. Students can choose to listen to questions as well as read them before selecting what they think is the best response.
You can see examples of the questions at the foot of this page.
Te reo Māori is aligned with the curriculum and guidelines
Te reo Māori is:
- aligned with Levels 1–3 of the New Zealand Curriculum (NZC)
- focuses on the te reo Māori curriculum guidelines—Te Aho Arataki Marau mō Te Ako i Te Reo Māori
- draws on the Learning Languages area of the NZC.
The online manual will be available from January 2019
The online manual will be available on this page from January 2019. The manual describes how the tool and the assessment scale were developed, and includes practical information about how to administer the assessment and use the reports. The reports are designed to help teachers plan learning that will help students make progress in the curriculum.
The questions are varied and include the option to listen