STAR reading test
order online; or
download the STAR order form (PDF file) and email or fax back on (04) 802 1450; or
About the STAR Reading Test
This STAR Reading Tests are standardised assessment tools, designed to supplement the assessments that teachers make about their students' progress and achievement in reading. Each test assesses a range of reading skills that correspond closely to the main components of reading skill outlined in The Literacy Learning Progressions (Ministry of Education, 2010).
A number of schools have asked us about the use of stanines with STAR. You can find more information here.
Special Features include...
The current edition of the STAR Reading Test consists of ten tests, arranged in order of difficulty and labelled according to recommended year level and test. The tests are designed for students from the beginning of Year 3 to the beginning of Year 9:
- Schools are able to enter their results on the NZCER Marking Service website.
- Sub-tests within each test relate to word recognition, sentence comprehension, paragraph comprehension and vocabulary range.
- Year 7-9 tests also cover the language of advertising and reading different text types.
- Tests designed for each year level but able to be used across more than two year levels.
- More test options so students do not have to repeat the same test in successive years.
- Detailed teacher manual, including an explanation of the scale, how to interpret results, and normative information.
STAR was originally developed between 1999 and 2003. The NZCER test development team has spent two years on a full revision, which included pilots, two national trials, review of items, and working with external experts. The original author of STAR, Warwick Elley, led the NZCER team for this redevelopment. The new edition is known as STAR Reading Test.
For further information on STAR Reading Tests, call us on (04) 802-1450 or send an email to email@example.com.