You are here
Submission guidelines - Early Childhood Folio
Early Childhood Folio invites submissions of articles based on quality educational research which reflect current practices and thinking and offer practical advice for teachers. It is used extensively for professional development in the early childhood education sector and also has a growing number of international subscribers.
Referees. All articles are refereed by academics or other recognised experts in the field. All refereeing is double blind.
Editing. All articles are professionally edited.
Length. 4,500 words maximum. This must be strictly adhered to.
Content and style. Articles for Set should be based on quality educational research.
- Please keep the audience in mind—stress the implications of your research and its relevance for teachers. if possible, include suggestions about how the findings could be put to classroom use.
- The research procedures/methods must be visible, but not necessarily described in detail. avoid complex statistics, but highlight the implications of them.
- Articles should be inclusive of Māori students wherever possible.
- Include one or two diagrams and/or simple tables, charts or graphs, if required.
- Keep details for the Notes section.
- Articles may be submitted in English or te reo Māori.
Abstract. Include an abstract of about 100 words.
Key points. Include 4–6 brief bullet points outlining the key points of your article.
Acknowledgements. Include the names of colleagues who have peer reviewed your article. it is recommended that you seek feedback on your manuscript from a colleague or academic supervisor prior to submission.
References. Use the APA 7 style for references. Please take care to ensure that all references are complete and accurate.
Biographical details. Include a sentence or two about yourself and indicate your current position.
Copyright. Copyright belongs to individual authors, but is managed by NZCER. It is expected that articles will be original and not published elsewhere. Authors will be given an agreement to sign.
Graphics. Please supply graphics and photos electronically as tiff, eps or jpeg files in a high resolution (c. 600dpi). Please do not solely supply them embedded in your article.
Copy. Please email an electronic copy (in MS Word format) to:
You can download a pdf of submission guidelines here