Auckland Council’s Sustainable Schools Team is running a small pilot programme in 2021, to explore how ten schools use a School Carbon Footprint calculator to understand their school’s carbon emissions, build knowledge about climate change mitigation, and take steps to reduce their school’s carbon footprint. NZCER is the research partner for the pilot project. The research will investigate:
- The interest/appetite and drivers of schools for using a school’s carbon calculator to get a carbon footprint and to develop and implement a carbon reduction plan.
- How is the tool is used in pilot schools, and by whom.
- The benefits of using a carbon calculator for learning, and carbon reduction.
- The nature of resources and support required to enable the use of a school’s carbon calculator to support schools and students to take climate action.
- Enablers and barriers to schools using a carbon calculator.
A research report from the pilot is due to be completed in December 2021.