This project explores what student activism looks like in Aotearoa New Zealand by conducting a literature scan. It will define student activism and identify recent examples of activism undertaken by secondary school aged students. Interactions between student activists and adults, including schools and teachers, will also be discussed.
The literature scan considers the following research questions:
- What are recent examples of student activism in Aotearoa New Zealand?
- What do students gain from their participation in activism?
- What can be learned about student engagement and learning through student activism?
- How do schools view and respond to student activism?
- In what ways does the New Zealand Curriculum support student activism?