Te Reo Māori is an online assessment that enables students to demonstrate their knowledge of te reo Māori vocabulary. The assessment is for English-medium schools. Te Reo Māori compliments Taku Reo student perception survey. Both available on NZCER Marking.
Te Reo Māori is aligned with the curriculum and guidelines
Te Reo Māori is:
- aligned with Levels 1–3 of The New Zealand Curriculum (NZC)
- focuses on the te reo Māori curriculum guidelines—Te Aho Arataki Marau mō Te Ako i Te Reo Māori
- draws on the Learning Languages area of the NZC.
The assessment is innovative
Te Reo Māori combines two innovative features: computer adaptive technology, and audio to model good te reo Māori pronunciation.
- Computer adaptive technology means the level of questions changes according to responses, so the results more accurately reflect each student’s ability.
- The audio option in the assessment reinforces NZCER’s belief that good assessment supports learning. Students can choose to listen to questions as well as read them before selecting what they think is the best response.
You can see examples of the questions at the foot of this page.
The teacher manual is now available
The teacher manual can found here. The manual describes how the tool and the assessment scale were developed, and includes practical information about how to administer the assessment and use the reports. The reports are designed to help teachers plan learning that will help students make progress in the curriculum.
The questions are varied and include the option to listen